Here we are 3 months later, waiting for summer to finally begin. The weather has improved, although I'm seeing nothing like the continual sunshine and heat like my friends in Texas (this is both good and bad!). Josh celebrated his 7th birthday last week and we held his party on the warmest day so far this year - a balmy 84 degrees. I understand now why my Oregon friends break out the shorts once the temperature hits 60 degrees. Otherwise, you'd only wear shorts 2-3 months of the year!
We're still looking for a house and the home prices here have not dropped as much as we'd like. It still boggles my mind that we could sell our 2500 sq ft home for $225K in Katy, TX and I can't find anything here even close to the same lot size or quality of home for less than $400K. Needless to say, we're having a hard time and trying to adjust our expectations for a home. My guess is we'll end up with something older that we can fix up in order to get the square footage and yard that we'd like to have. I guess we should have moved from an area with expensive homes to cheaper ones!
Josh has one more week of school here and then I get to figure out our plans for the summer. Other than a church camping trip next month and Jeff's wedding in August, we'll just be hanging out locally. As the weather continues to improve, we'll spend more time outside at the local parks or even head over to the city pool once I'm sure the water will be warm enough. Josh is excited to be finishing the 1st grade. He's made a lot of progress this year, particularly on his reading. I need to help him with hard words less and less and there are several books he can read without any help now. He really has enjoyed his class and living closer to his cousins and grandparents. He has several friends at school and church (not a big surprise!) and is very excited to start 2nd grade in September.
Dan and I took a trip to Washington DC in May. It was wonderful to get away and see all the sights. It was my first time to visit the nation's capitol and I was not disappointed, except maybe that we didn't have time to see everything. :) Dan is enjoying his job as a professor at Oregon State. The most challenging thing he is still learning is how to balance the demands on his time, between meetings, office hours, preparing to lecture and grading papers and tests. He's been playing softball late this spring and this summer with his brother Tim and other friends from church.
I'm working on connecting with old friends and making some new ones here. Probably the best things that have come out of moving back to Oregon have been developing a deeper relationship with my sister Shannon and reconnecting with my friend Laura. It's so nice to see my sister more than once a year and to spend time with friends that I was rarely able to see before. I'm definitely ready to get settled in our own place though and get all of our boxes unpacked. I didn't think I'd miss most of my books (which are still in boxes) but lately I keep thinking about Bible studies I was to revisit or reference books I need to dig out or books I want to loan to people. Not to mention that the twins baby books are now woefully out of date!
God willing I'll have house news to report the next time I blog. Until then, have a blessed summer and enjoy the sunshine!
0 comments:
Post a Comment