Meet Your Teacher

Wednesday night we went to Josh's new elementary school for Meet The Teacher night. Since I'm planning to walk Josh to and from school each day, our plan was to walk over that night. But being summer in Texas, thunderstorms cropped up late afternoon. Once Dan arrived home from work, driving seemed the best option. That is until we were driving around looking for a parking spot amidst the hundreds of cars! We ended up walking a short distance in the rain with the twins in their stroller. We were wet in spite of the umbrella, but fortunately the twins just took the whole evening in stride!

To say that the school was crowded is an understatement. It seems everyone comes with both parents and right at 5:00 or even before. They had PTA signups, spirit t-shirts and yearbook ordering in the gym. Then you had to brave the crowds through halls not built for that many people and strollers to pass through. :) We made it to Josh's new class and he of course characteristically hung back while Mom & Dad checked out everything. I've heard good reports about his new teacher from friends and am encouraged by the fact that she has a 2nd grade son.

We wandered back through the crowds to the gym, looking for Josh's best friend Spencer and his family. This time we showed Josh the library, how people get food in the cafeteria/gym and where the closest bathrooms were. And one more trip through the school back to his room to ask his teacher a couple of questions I forgot earlier. This time Josh actually walked through the room, sat down at the computers and found his name at the work tables. He is disappointed that his buddy Spencer won't be in his class, but with 10 Kindergarten classrooms, the odds were not high that they would be together. God willing they'll at least have recess and lunch at the same times.

Once we made it back through the rain to the car and then dealt with Josh stepping in fire ants, I realized that I had completely forgotten to get my camera out! Sorry no pictures this time. But we'll will definitely take pictures next Monday for the first day of school and I'll get them posted later that day.

It's so hard to believe that my baby is starting Kindergarten! I keep experiencing a variety of emotions - excitement, anxiety, fear, peace and relief. I'm continually reminding myself that God loves Josh even more than we do and even though Dan and I won't be with him every step of the way, God will. I'm so excited though for the new experiences he will have, the new friends he will make and all the new things he will be learning. Josh is excited about this new adventure. Although he did ask me the other day if school was "Tuesday-Thursday" or Monday-Wednesday". :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment