Josh has made it through almost 7 days of school now. Each day is a work in progress. After really enjoying the first day, things slowly went downhill last week. By Thursday and Friday, he cried on the way to school and had to be forceably taken to class by staff at his school. Yesterday was a little better where he walked with an adult to class willingly, albeit with more tears. Today was the first day he hugged me and walked away by himself, without tears. Of course, I cheated this morning, dropping him off at the Kindergarten wing doors instead of the front doors of the school. We'll continue to do that as long as they let us. He seems more comfortable knowing exactly where he is in the building and I can watch him walk into his room. God willing we're trending in the right direction!
I keep reminding myself that he's adjusting and he's only 5 years old. And once he's gotten to class, he's had a good day and really enjoyed himself. I confess that it has been a hard adjustment for me as well. No parent enjoys watching your child in tears as they cry that they would rather stay at home with you, they miss you and they hate school. I know for me, I begin to have doubts and want to protect my son. I'm sure that this is completely normal and something every parent goes through as their children grow up. But I can trust God and know that He has His hand on Josh's life and all that he goes through every day.
It's been very quiet in the house with only the twins around. When they nap in the afternoon, I almost don't know what to do with myself! But it's been so great to be able to relax, get some cleaning done and even read my Bible on a more regular basis again. Yet another adjustment as the twins and I work to establish a new school year routine. Our lives will be busy soon though with the onset of women's Bible study and MOPS next week.
Andrew is getting oh so close to walking. He's taken a couple of steps to get to something, but usually to someone. His favorite thing to do is walk around holding someone's hands. Evan is cruising faster and faster and moving quickly between objects. And both of them are magnets for whatever it is you don't want them to do or to touch. If there stairs are not blocked off, before I can turn around one or both of them is crawling up. If the refrigerator or laundry room or our bedroom is open, there they go to check it out. Things that Josh never bothered with absolutely fascinate the twins. We're having to do more babyproofing because it's challenging to keep track of both of them at the same time. But they are happy, healthy little boys and love to play and laugh.
I guess I need to start taking more pictures. :) My parents will be here for a week and I'm sure we'll be taking lots of pictures. I'll try to post some again by next week.
Adjustments
Posted by
dkeuhus
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
2 comments:
The best thing about kindergarten for Rilyn the first day was "coming home!" ha! The worst was recess because it was "so hot". She now has adjusted to the long days and goes to sleep at 7 p.m.! Our babies are growing up so fast!!! I still remember us eating lunch together the day before they were to be born...
Hey Kim, I'm just checking up on the blog, I'm so sorry Josh was in tears....how sad for the Mommy! And sorry Dan and one of the boys has been sick, it is definitely raging through Katy. I really enjoy reading your blog, and pray for Josh as Kindergarten gets better!
Post a Comment